Checklist for Spring
- Clean up dead leaves in the yard.
- Clean up gas and oil spills in the garage.
- Clean up work areas on the porch, in the garage, and in the house.
- Discard all piles of rubbish.
- Check appliance cords, fuses, and wiring for wear and tear.
- Check for water leaks near electrical appliances.
- Keep combustibles away from heaters, furnaces, and other heat sources.
- Check flue connections and chimneys for any accumulation of creosote.
- Discard oily rags and paint cans.
- Label gasoline and cleaning fluids and store in a cool, safe place away from the house.
- Take all those old papers and magazines from the attic, garage and basement and recycle them.
A wonderful way to get exercise and fresh air is to explore one of the many hiking trails in and around Redmond. If you are dusting off your hiking shoes and heading for the trails, keep in mind that safe hiking includes taking some precautions.
Tips to make your hiking experience a safe one:
- Check the weather before leaving.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Bring additional clothing to layer.
- Understand your level of fitness; don't take a hike more strenuous than you can handle.
- Provide a family member or friend with your destination and return schedule.
- Wear appropriate hiking shoes or boots.
- Bring a compass and topographical map.
- If on a day hike, pack rain gear, extra clothing, high energy food, water, a first aid kit, matches in a waterproof container, insect repellent, sunglasses, sunscreen and whistle.
- Once at your destination, sign in on all registers you pass. This can assist forest rangers should you become lost.