Locating Rain Barrels
In 2008, the City of Redmond stopped building and selling rain barrels. Prior to that, the City distributed more than 700 barrels.
As the market place changed and state restrictions eased, many private rain barrel vendors now offer a variety of choices. A good list of resources to find rain barrels is found on the King County website.
Most of the barrels hold 55 – 60 gallons; however, some are larger. Included in this list is the Seattle Conservation Corps, which can sell rain barrels to folks inside and outside of Seattle. You can also contact the Garden Hotline at 206-633-0224 or www.gardenhotline.org
- The barrel should be durable, not pliable.
- Opaque containers discourage bacteria/algae growth.
- Be sure to kid-, pest-, and pet-proof the barrel openings.
- Check the valves for easy to use hose attachment, and be sure to check for an overflow faucet.
- Check that large openings (such as the top) to be sure they are screened to keep mosquitoes and debris out of the barrel.